Monday, December 12, 2011

How to set-up up client computers for SBS 2008?

Currently I have one server(SBS Server 2003 R2) and about 10 client computers on our company network (Domain). Our client computers are made up of Vista and XP machines. I am planning on replacing our SBS 2003 server with a SBS 2008 server. Actually our current machine will run SBS 2008, I will not perform a migration because we need a clean install. So my question is what is the easiest way for me to switch all of our client computers to the SBS 2008 server? From what I understand is every time you link a client machine to another domain a creates another profile which I would love not to have to create new profiles for each machine.How to set-up up client computers for SBS 2008?
You are correct that joining a computer to a new domain will create new user profiles on it when the users log in, and if you were to do exactly what you were proposing there is no way around it.. However there are other ways!! ... The pressing question is: Why do you need to create a new domain and blow away the old one? I can understand why you might need to completely blow-away a server, but do you really need to destroy the domain itself? If you migrate the domain to the new SBS server and NOT migrate everything else, you can still have a fresh server and have your current domain without having any client issues.



I have lots of information for you. Please email me though my Yahoo profile with you thoughts and for additional information.

No comments:

Post a Comment