Monday, December 12, 2011

No Folder Icons..(System 32 Problem I Think)?

Hey i'm on windows vista home premium - service pack 1..

I've been having this really annoying problem for over 2 months and no one at my old forum knew how to help me.

I think it's a system 32 related problem, but not totally sure.

A while back, i was fiddling around with programs like mycolors (a desktop customization program) and my folder icons got changed during the process - like permanately. I tried right clicking folders and going to customize and setting the folder image to defaults but it never worked. After a while of nothing working I tried replacing my imageres.dll in system32. My friend, who had also has windows vista uploaded his imageres.dll

I tried just replacing his with mine but windows wouldn't let me. Imageres.dll is the file that controls folder icons appearance right? He also gave me a copy of his shell32.dll. So, I downloaded this thing called BartPE that let me run a weird XP based OS off of a cd. Not all of it was in english so i couldn't read some things but i knew what i was doing for the most part. While running that, i was able to replace my imageres.dll w/ a good copy, but i got an error message (in some weird language) when i tried to replace my shell32. Still my problem is not solved. And on top of that, for some odd reason, my desktop wallpaper doesn't show up when i first turn the computer on, i have to re-apply it everytime. this started happening around when i first started using this dock called rocket dock on my desktop.

idk, what else to do..? I'm actually willing to install a fresh copy of either xp or vista, but would i lose all my files? is there an easy way to start fresh and keep your programs, files, etc.?



edit:

also thought i'd mention that i'm running windows blinds (changes appearance of OS) but this never gave me any problems..No Folder Icons..(System 32 Problem I Think)?
Don't be a jerk to yahoo answers (your question after this) . People here are generally good at computers, but you will not get a ton of help for questions that are pages long as well. I suggest uninstalling windows blinds as it is a system hook application and therefore has control over more things then you do. If you are attempting to save the operating system you have in place then you will need to use a live cd os to replace those files (linux distros are fine as most support ntfs file systems). Windows blinds being misconfigured/erroneous is a good explination of all your errors here. The more things that you have run on startup the weirder everything gets. If rocket dock also contains a system hook then it might just be a stupid application.



Solution: get linux.

No comments:

Post a Comment