Monday, December 12, 2011

Need feedback on new PC purchase research?

Okay, still doing research and planning before buying my new computer to replace my super old one.



I still dont know if I should get XP or Vista.

How much speed and memory do I need (and how do i explain that to a salesperson/what to look for)

I use my computer to download movies and music, check email and surf. Dont play any fancy games.



I dont know if I should stick with new, or get something refurbished. Price is an issue.



I dont have the skills or knowledge to build or put together anything, it has to come ready to go.



I only need the tower part, no monitor or anything like that.



It has to have the following things (I think?)

cd reader/writer

floppy drive

Windows vista or xp

explorer,outlook, Microsoft works/office

Ethernet port

2+ phone ports

3+ USB ports

compatible with my current peripherals

80 GB memory

speed? P3 512meg

dual core or core 2 duo processor

3GB+ Ram

512MB graphics card

processor?

video card?

sound card?

modem? (i have an external sympatico one?)





Please, give me advice, is my info correct? I dont have a lot of money to spend on this, what is a reasonable price?Need feedback on new PC purchase research?
Mercuri is right. I am an XP fan because online it is all the same. I just picked up a Vista computer this morning at Fry's. Now I have two Vista and an old XP for internet use. (I just save them till something breaks then rebuild and ship to Fry's for an operating system.)Need feedback on new PC purchase research?
Get Vista. XP is old and antequated. Vista works much better with more features and is easier to use. Forget all the stuff you've heard about the fact that ';Vista sucks';... it's all irrelevant nowadays.



You're not going to find a floppy drive on anything new, unless you get something custom (and even then). Floppy drives are going the way of the dodo and you probably don't need one. If you do absolutely need one, they sell USB versions of the floppy drive for about $20.



No computer comes with the full version of Microsoft Office, so you're going to have to purchase that separately. If you get a custom computer, you can often have them install Office for you (for the same price as buying the software at the store).



Almost all computers come with a CD/DVD burner.



80GBs of memory is completely impossible as even the best motherboards only support 12GBs of memory. I think you mean storage or hard disk space. Typically the smallest hard drive you'd find in most computers is 160GBs, which is twice what you're asking for.



What's this ';speed? P3 512meg'; spec? That makes absolutely no sense to me.



Almost all new computers have dual-core processors.



Phone ports would be based entirely on your computer's internal modem. Some computers don't have a modem, so check the specs.
  • oil pan replacement
  • natural hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment