Monday, December 12, 2011

Vista Computer Can't See Workgroup Computers?

I have a Vista PC connected to a Linksys Router. We had a D-Link router, which I replaced about a year ago. We had no problems with the new router until we moved to another state with a new ISP. Now we have the following symptoms:



-my laptop and my kids' computer (both running XP) cannot see the Vista computer

-the Vista computer cannot see the XP computers

-both XP computers can see each other and can connect to the internet.

-all 3 computers can ping each other



Firewalls are all turned off, and we aren't running any anti-virus, so this is not the problem. I think it may have something to do with the assigned IPs. Vista computer is 192.168.15.100. The XP computers are 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.104. (notice the difference in the third bracket of numbers) If I go to ipconfig on the XP computers, it says:



connection-specific DNS suffix: zoominternet.net (this is our OLD ISP before we moved)



Can anyone shed some light on this? How can I get all of my computers to ';see'; each other for the purpose of file sharing? Thanks.Vista Computer Can't See Workgroup Computers?
I am not trying to make you mad but you need to get someone you know to help you set up the preferences to enable the file sharing on all computers, so it will work.

It isn't as simple as just making a few clicks on the computer.Vista Computer Can't See Workgroup Computers?
In the vista computer, select the network as home network and enable network discovery, file sharing etc.
You have a sharp eye for spotting that difference in the IP addresses. Actually, I'm a little surprised that it's working as well as you say it is. Are you sure that the 192.168.1.1 is accurate? That's the default address for a LinkSys router. Maybe you read it off of the ';gateway'; line on that computer.



You could try:



ipconfig/renew



on the Vista computer. Try that first; it's easy, and won't hurt anything.



But I'm thinking that running the ';new connection wizard'; might be a better solution, on all three computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment