Monday, December 12, 2011

I had Windows XP Home Edition. I upgraded to Professional, and now it says not enough RAM to upgrade to Vista?

I bought a computer from Walmart in '06. A Compaq Presario in which runs okay, but is aggravating. Lightening got the main board in '07, so I took it to a shop where they took it in and replaced a part probably not even as big as my fingernail. It came back on, but they re-installed it with PROFESSIONAL'02 SP2. I have two hard disks on this computer because when it came from Walmart it had a recovery partition on it. But anyway, I just got a VISTA disc and now it says it needs more RAM. How can I get by this? I'm sure the shop I sent it to got by it, but they closed up earlier this year. I don't know how I can format one disk or whatever or format the whole thing, but I REALLY want VISTA on this computer.

Best Answer will be guaranteed.I had Windows XP Home Edition. I upgraded to Professional, and now it says not enough RAM to upgrade to Vista?
The shop didn't ';get by'; it. They didn't have to, since they did not install Vista. XP Professional has the same system requirements as the Home version does.



To run Vista, you need a minimum of 512 MB of RAM, 1 GB recommended.I had Windows XP Home Edition. I upgraded to Professional, and now it says not enough RAM to upgrade to Vista?
Your computer simply doesn't have enough RAM. You will either need to buy more, or upgrade to a new computer.



Vista is very resource intensive from what I understand, and you may have other parts in your computer that will not be compatible either.
You didn't provide much detail so you will have to go online to look at the system specifications for your Compaq. It will tell you what kind of RAM you need. Then go to a Best Buy or Comp USA to get the RAM. RAM is very very easy to install. I don't know if you have a Desktop or Laptop. I wouldn't run Vista unless it has ATLEAST one GB of RAM but go for more if you can. If your computer is old it might not be able to push Vista well because most computers have caps on how much RAM you can use total. But 1-2GB is safe. The best thing is, if RAM doesnt work you can always return it . Its a win win situation. I do not have a windows machine now, but try right clicking on my computer, going down to properties and it should tell you how much RAM you have in there now. That will give you a baseline.
you have to buy more memory you want vista dont do it it is slow dont say i didnt warn you vista needs 2 gb of ram or it will barely run
Well, unless you ran a test to see if your computer is capable of running Windows Vista when you had Windows XP Home Edition, I don't see why it would make a difference if you had Windows XP Professional or Home Edition. If you don't have enough RAM you don't have enough RAM, no matter what Windows you're running.

Could you please add in how much RAM you have currently?



Anyway, you have a few options:

Upgrade the RAM on your laptop. It's a very simple process, and RAM is fairly cheap these days. Run a test on www.crucial.com it's a very good website and will tell you how much RAM you have currently, and how much RAM you have now.



You could try buying a lesser-version of Vista, although buying more RAM is probably cheaper.



Hope I helped, good luck!
NEVER BUY VISTA YOU WILL REGRET IT, REMEMBER WIN ME?
You know, there's probably an answer to your problem, probably a way to get past the memory check.



Honestly, though? If you think your computer is aggravating now, you should see it running an OS it's not supposed to with half the RAM you need.



I'd suggest it if you were a Buddhist monk hoping to learn patience. Otherwise, stick with XP Pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment