Sunday, November 21, 2010

Can I downgrade my Vista laptop to XP?

I got an HP laptop to replace a 2 year old compaq laptop with XP. After 11 months of Vista, I havn't found any advantages to Vista. On the contrary. There are so many annoying bugs. Vista takes up 40 gigs of hard disk space! I can't run software I frequently used with XP. My computer runs slow even though it has 3 gigs of ram. My xp laptop ran equally fast with 512 mb of ram!. I h8 Vista! Approximately how much will it cost to downgrade it at a tech shop?Can I downgrade my Vista laptop to XP?
11 months later and you haven't figure out yet the superiority of Vista over XP?? WOW. I run Vista for 2 years now ,I installed it for the first time in my old 512mb computer and it run without problems.If you have a powerful computer and having problems with vista your computer is probably abused/neglect and you are still running the crap demo and services that came with it.

If you are not trying to install ancient software everything works with Vista or it has a patch for it.Like the sony media manager you are having problems,there is a version 2.5 you can download for free and works without a problem with Vista.As for the rest of the problems you have is bad configuration or bad maintenance status.

Vista takes 10GB of space because it is more powerful OS and has more features.Do you expect an improved OS requiring the same specs with an older one?Win95 require few MB of disk space and only 8mb of ram.Would you install it on your computer? Your new computer is MADE for the new more power hungry operating system .You don't have a 512mb ram and 20GB drive so why do you complain? Vista only requires a little over 1GB to run flawlessly and if you turn off the visual and the extra like the sidebar your computer will fly.

If you have SP1 installed there are no bags no compatibility issues no problem.I use it and abuse it for 2 years now and I know it. Instead of asking help on how to cripple your computer by installing a dead OS ,use this forum to get help with what troubles you.Remember....there is nothing on Vista that can't be turned off,disabled,modified,or even hacked to solve your problem.All you have to do is ask.Can I downgrade my Vista laptop to XP?
I don't believe you. Vista is far superior to XP in just about every way. It's more stable, easier to use, etc. If it's running slow, it's probable your computer is infected with malware of some sort. And almost all XP software works just fine with Vista without any modifications at all.



BTW, RAM is not a measure of performance or speed. More ram means you have more RAM, not that the computer is going to be any faster.



To answer your main question, when we did this kind of service at Best Buy, we'd typically charge about $200 plus the cost of a legitimate version of Windows XP (if you don't already have a VALID license)
2 years later....there are still morons! Next time don't buy the piece of crap from walmart for $300.
You'll need to use XP cd at boot time to install and if that gives you problems then you'll have to format the hard drive (use a start up disk and look up the dos commands for doing this) first then use the CD. If you don't have an XP disk (came preinstalled on your first machine) then that will probably cost the most. It also depends on if you want pro or home. If you're not a techy, then home should be fine. You shouldn't pay more than a few hundred (including XP) and if you have the CD and want to try it yourself, free. Either way make SURE you backup your pertinent data to an external hard drive or something before starting any of this.
I don't care much for Vista myself. Hard to find files that I just saved in specific folders. I'm like, ';Where's the freaking file? I just saved it here.'; After I restart the computer, there's the new file right where it is suppose to be. Very annoying.



And shut down is a pain. I'll hit Start, Turn Off Computer, and the Turn Off selection and the computer is still on five minutes later running like I never tried to turn it off. Sometimes, I have to repeat the shutdown procedure three or four times just to shut the annoying thing down.



The Flashcards program never worked and can't seem to find a way to solve the problem either. I have tried to take it out of the laptop, but it keeps reappearing after each start up. Add/Delete programs can't seem to get rid of it.



My new Toshiba doesn't run that much faster than my Dell 2004 model which runs XP. If I could afford it, I would take Vista out of the laptop and put in XP and at least have a program that shuts down the computer with out multiple attempts.



At least the Toshiba has a DVD burner and I can create and edit videos and burn them to a disk. But, the Dell ain't going anywhere as long as I'm stuck with Vista in the laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment