Friday, November 19, 2010

Dual-Booting Ubuntu 8.04 and Vista?

Alright, right now I dual-boot Windows XP Professional and Vista Ultimate (both 32-bit). XP came default on my machine, and I installed Vista later on another partition. I had kept XP for compatibility reasons, but there's really no XP-Vista compatibility issues anymore and I haven't been on XP for like 2 or 3 months.



So, since I'm getting into the whole open-sourced thing (almost all the software I use is open-source, except the things that don't have alternatives, like Flash CS3), I figured I should replace XP with Ubuntu. However, I'm worried there might be some issues. I read on another Answers page that Vista and Ubuntu don't dual-boot nicely (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index? and that it can mess up a lot of stuff if I try it. However, I read a tutorial here (http://howtoforge.com/dual_boot_windows_ on how to dual-boot Ubuntu 7 and Vista.



So I guess what I'm really asking is, are there any compatibility problems with Vista and Ubuntu 8, or can I overwrite my XP partition with Ubuntu without any worries?



Any help is greatly appreciated. Dual-Booting Ubuntu 8.04 and Vista?
You can install Ubuntu 8.04.1 using Wubi installer within Windows XP.

You keep Windows as it is, Wubi http://wubi-installer.org/ only adds an extra option to boot into Ubuntu. Wubi does not require you to modify the partitions of your PC, or to use a different bootloader, and does not install special drivers.

Wubi keeps most of the files in one folder, and if you do not like it, you can simply uninstall it as any other application.



LUg.



Dual-Booting Ubuntu 8.04 and Vista?
Do what the dude above me said, but wubi screwed a lot of computers, like not having access on the ubuntu partition or even your normal partition. So if your gonna use wubi, use it at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment