Sunday, November 21, 2010

Is it impossible to make XP work on a laptop with pre-installed Vista?

Please help me get around this problem, or I will go mad! I got this HP laptop as a present, and it had Vista pre-installed, which I want to replace with XP. I formatted and just left the recovery partition, and then tried with 3 different XP CDs but in all three cases I got the blue screen of death. Why?! Is there any way to make it work? Not only that, but I searched for hardware drivers online and the only ones available on their official websites are for Vista and up. What the hell happened to user choice? So basically if a company has a deal with MS you can only use their product with that OS only? I'm very angry because it's a really good laptop and Vista is simply not my choice. If you know how to make XP work on such a laptop, let me know.



I also have another laptop with pre-installed Vista, on which I want to install Linux. Don't tell me I can't do that either!!Is it impossible to make XP work on a laptop with pre-installed Vista?
good luck you should give vista a chance

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,228Is it impossible to make XP work on a laptop with pre-installed Vista?
no its not

just install it and it will work
Why are you wanting to get rid of Vista. I hate all the bad rep it's getting, it's actually a really nice OS. Sure it uses a tad more memory than we think it should, but jeez.



But if you're having problems installing XP then the disks your using are probably tied to a specific BIOS. Either that or are illegal copies. As for linux, it should install just fine as long as there are linux drivers for your hardware. Shouldn't be a problem, but wireless adapters seem to have the most problems with linux.
I actually had this exact problem about a week ago. You need to have your hard drive wiped clean. Once you have a newer program on your computer it is a lot harder to go backwards. Take it to a computer store and tell them you want the hard drive wiped clean and from there you can install any program you wish. until it is clean, It WILL NOT work! Trust me. I used to work in computer sales.
you have to flash your bios..go to your suppliers webpage and look for the drivers for your computer and look for the flashed bios
yes it is possible all you have to do is install Xp in a different drive
You can get XP to work on it, yes......HOWEVER, if you want to retain full functionality of your new HP laptop I strongly suggest you keep Vista.

Any time you will need HP support for anything on that PC they will not help you unless Vista is on it. That's what it was designed to run with.



Besides that you will probably lose some of the hardware functions due to the factory installed drivers %26amp; software being removed. The HP recovery tools will no longer be available to you.



Here's some friendly %26amp; sincere advice :

Keep Vista %26amp; you'll see after a while that it's really not the anti-Christ.



I had to move to Vista a while ago because I was obliged to familiarize myself with it for work reasons ... you know what ? Now I wouldn't go back to XP even if you paid me.... it's great %26amp; believe me I am no pushover. I am a power user by anyone's standards, %26amp; have little tolerance for crap.



Yes, there are a few minor flaws (you probably won't even notice them) but the advantages totally outweigh them.

Take the time to learn it %26amp; tweak it to look %26amp; work like XP did for you.....I guarantee that you will be surprised at how soon you change your mind.



regards,

Philip T





******

added:

yes you have the right to any OS you like, but HP is not obliged to support it.

No comments:

Post a Comment