Sunday, November 21, 2010

How to add old hard drive (XP) to new computer (Vista)?

I just purchased a new computer with Windows Vista. I would like to remove the hard drive from my other computer (with XP) and add it to this new one. I don't want to replace the current one, I just want to have two hard drives (greedy, I guess, lol) on this new system. I plan on making it so I can choose to run XP or Vista, but that comes later. Right now I'm trying to put the old hard drive in. I've replaced CD/DVD drives, but never a hard drive.



Question: I'm a bit confused on the need to reformat. Do I have to reformat if I plan on making my old drive a slave drive? Or is reformatting only if I plan on making it the primary drive?



Thank you!How to add old hard drive (XP) to new computer (Vista)?
The solution I'd recommend would be to purchase an external enclosure, put the old drive in it, then connect it for use as a backup drive. As long as you just need to use it for additional storage, and not for installing programs, this will work well, and allow you to easily move the drive to another system if and when needed.How to add old hard drive (XP) to new computer (Vista)?
Just make it your XP drive a slave, then figure out how to put it in your case, i havent seen it so i cant advise you there. to make it choose which os when you boot up, you have to enable vista's dual boot option. this can easily be done using easyBCD
you first question should be, do i have the right motherboard for this hard drive. at the end of the hard drive, there should be 2 ports. one for power, and one that leads to the motherboard, you need to look at the ports on the motherboard and see if they match. if they do, then move to the next step.

i would recommend doing a google search, its going to give you the most detailed steps
ok heres what you need to know. There is a little swtich in the back of all hard drives that sets it to slave or master. You want your set to slave. You do not have to reformat it to do this but you will have to reinstall Xp. Why? because unless your new machine contains the same motherboard as your old machine windows will see it a s a major hardware upgrade and force you to reinstall. Also the way windows configures on install relies heavly on your motherboard so you have to reinstall XP in order to use it on the new computer.
reformatting will remove all data on the drive- just plug it in as you normally would- with IDE it should be a secondary master or a slave, or on SATA it does not matter.
you can put the ';xp drive'; as a slave or secondary master but not as primary master. if you just want to open the old files from that drive, there's no problem. but if you want to have a dual booth, or let say you want to choose on the start up if xp or vista, thats another story.
  • need some legal advice
  • microsoft office
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment