Sunday, November 21, 2010

How can I replace Windows Vista with Windows XP?

I have the Windows XP Pro disc but when I try to install it, it says the version on this pc is newer than the one being installed. And it won't go any further. Help please!!!How can I replace Windows Vista with Windows XP?
You can install it that way, you need to boot off the CD, then choose to delete the partition, XP will then create a new partition to install itself.How can I replace Windows Vista with Windows XP?
have you gonr to the manufacturers website and looked to make sure they have xp drivers for your pc?
I have installed XP on many new desktop PC's. I would first recommend creating the recovery disc set if you haven't already. You will not be able to install without first booting to the Windows XP CD. Keep in mind that you can only use it on 1 PC at a time. You will also need to do a little work to locate the drivers for your hardware as Windows will not support everything. This can be done fairly easily by looking on the board for a part number. You can then do a search for that part number. In a lot of newer desktops I have noticed they are using either Asus, MSI or ECS manufactured boards. Yours may be different so don't do anything until you are confident you have all the drivers needed for your particular machine.



If you post what make and model your PC is I can more than likely locate the drivers and post the links for you.
got TWO hours ????



Bought a laptop with Vista and put XP on it also.



--------------------------------------…



This is a nice computer. Thought someone may like to see.



The VistaBootPro people say this can't be done.



I bought a new laptop at Walmart today. Gateway MT6840-$698.00



I bought a Gateway 7330GZ last year for $1150.00 {80 GB’s , 512 MB of Ram}



I bought this one for a customer and have to share my thoughts for those interested.



This Gateway MT 6840 is a really fast computer and has 160 GB hard drive and 1GB of memory and came with Vista premium. It also came with a recovery DVD of Vista premium.



It is so fast I just ordered a 1 GB memory stick for my 7330GZ from Newegg.



OK, here is what I did when I got the new MT6840 home.



I’ll number the steps.



1. I put a Windows XP CD in the drive and booted to install.

2. When it asked me what I wanted to do I deleted the recovery partition and I deleted the Vista OS partition.

3. Now I had 160 GB unformatted hard drive and chose {quick} format and installed Windows XP Professional.

4. It installed perfectly and I had a 160 GB hard drive with Windows XP Professional.

5. I installed Microsofts’s NetFramework 1.1

6. I installed Partition Magic. BUT NOT “Boot Magic”.

7. I installed PowerQuest Drive Image 7.0.

8. I opened Partition Magic and right clicked on Drive C {160GB’s} and clicked on label and labeled it “January”.

9. I booted the computer.

10. I opened Partition Magic and in the upper left hand corner selected “create a new partition.”

11. I made the new partition 120 GB’s and took all the space from January.

12. I made sure it was a primary partition. {Click on primary because default in partition magic is {extended logical}.

13. In the lower left hand corner click on apply. The computer will reboot to do this.

14. Now you have a 40 GB {Partition 1} with Windows XP operating system.

15. You also have a PRIMARY {Partition 2} of 120 GB’s.

16. Open Partition Magic and right click on the 120GB partition and click on label and label it February.

17. Now I opened Partition Magic and click on “create a new partition”.

18. Unchecked all the boxes except February and created a logical partition 80 GB’s. Clicked apply. Took all the space from February.

19. Now February is 40 GB’s.

20. Open Partition Magic and right click on the 80 GB and label it March.

21. I opened Partition Magic and in the upper left hand corner selected “create a new partition.”

22. Unchecked all the boxes except March and created a logical partition 40 GB’s. Clicked apply. Took all the space from March.

23. Right clicked and labeled the new partition April.

24. I opened Partition Magic and in the upper left hand corner selected “create a new partition.”

25. Unchecked all the boxes except April and created a logical {FAT 32}partition two {2}GB’s. That’s right, only 2 GB’s. Clicked apply. Took all the space from April.

26. Right clicked on the 2GB’s and labeled it “Boot Magic”. But still have NOT installed boot magic.

27. I then right clicked on Partition Two Labeled February and at the bottom “click on advanced and set Partition Two ACTIVE {the partition it will boot to}. Partition 2 is a blank partition with NOTHING on it.

28. I put the Vista DVD in the DVD rom drive and booted.

29. Vista loaded and asked me which partition I wanted to load Vista on and I selected February.

30. Vista installed perfectly {exactly the way it was when I bought it.} and I booted it several times to make sure. I installed some small programs including Adobe 8.0 and Nero 7.

31. AT THIS POINT I CAN’T GET OUT OF VISTA.

32. The only way to get out of Vista is to put the “Boot Magic Rescue Disk Floppy” in the USB drive {I use an external floppy disk that plugs into USB port}and boot the computer.

33. The floppy loads and asks me which partition I want to boot to.

34. I choose Partition 1 {January} and press enter and unclick the floppy from the floppy drive so it doesn’t load again.

35. It boots perfectly to Windows XP Professional.

36. NOW I INSTALL BOOT MAGIC and it goes right into the 2GB partition labeled “Boot Magic”.

37. I now click on the “Boot Magic” folder and click on the wrench folder {It has a picture of a wrench”.}

38. I make sure only January is the default {Windows XP} and put a check mark in the box in the lower left hand corner and reboot.

39. The computer boots to Boot Magic and gives me a choice of Windows XP or Vista.

40. After I boot several times to each one to make sure it is a true dual boot I open boot magic again and click on each partition and click on properties and label one XP Pro and one Vista. Now when it boots to “Boot Magic” I see which is which.



This whole thing took about two hours.

Cheers:Jimmy Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment