Sunday, November 21, 2010

XP has no taskbar after fiddling with vista?

I tried to install vista earlier today, I liked it so decided to re-install it with the XP drive plugged in (I took it out on the first attempt of vista just in case it wiped all my files).

After the first reboot after the install of Vista it decided to error scan my 80gb hard drive with XP on it, it replaced 120,000 file security ID's taking the best part of an hour.

After installing vista I booted up to XP (no OS choice menu, changed HDD boot priority in BIOS) and there was no taskbar. I can access taskmanager (ctrl+alt+del), run (start+r) and windows explorer (start+e).

Fine I thought, I can backup all I need to onto another hard drive and install Vista on the XP drive. I went to copy a folder, right clicked it and clicked copy, pressed edit%26gt;paste but it was greyed out... It does this no matter what, or to where I am copying and pasting, it is greyed out.



Anybody have an idea on how to fix this? It happens in safe mode as well.

It is XP Media Centre Edition SP2.



Thanks

JackXP has no taskbar after fiddling with vista?
if it were me, i'd run a linux live distrobution (slax is nice) to try to save the files I know I need, export them to an external harddrive if possible, then hard format and reinstall vista correctly



edit:// i'd like to add that slax is found at www.slax.org and basically you make a boot cd for it, pop that in, boot to your cd drive, and the linux distrobution runs off of your ram instead of using your harddrive, so you should be able to load that up at least.XP has no taskbar after fiddling with vista?
You have totally trashed your XP installation. You should have left the other drive in, it would then have been recognised by Vista as an alternative system and left alone. By adding it afterwards it has treated it as a new drive, by changing security IDs it has removed most of your control over it. The only chance you have is to get an external, or a third internal drive, and copy data from the XP drive while running Vista. Whatever happens you need to do a completely clean install.
I guess you lost every thing, your files are there but you can't get to them.If it was my computer I would format and install vista the right way.
  • bird
  • Do you have to use a quilt in the cot bed
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment