Sunday, November 21, 2010

Is possible to change/replace/upgrade a computer motherboard currently running Vista w/o fresh OS install?

I recently upgraded my Windows XP to Windows Vista. After update, I realized Vista is too slow on my old PC. So I built a new PC. I cloned HD with Vista installed and moved it to new PC. But I can't boot into Vista due to different motherboard on my new PC. Since Vista is new OS, I can't find a way to fix this common installation problem. If it is XP, I know how to re-install OS without upseting my existing files and settings. Anyone knows how to do that under Window Vista?



I have tried Vista's Window Repair and it doesn't work. I've tried to re-install Vista, but it tried to rename my existing window directory to windows.old which is not what I want.Is possible to change/replace/upgrade a computer motherboard currently running Vista w/o fresh OS install?
Not likely. Vista takes a snapshot of everything on your system and creates an id for it. If you change enough hardware, Vista will revert to a non-activated state.

No comments:

Post a Comment