Sunday, November 21, 2010

Missing most of my hard drive after making a partition?

I've just replaced Vista with XP Pro on my laptop. It gave me the option of making a partition so I selected a C: drive of 60Gb for the OS and related software.

Everything seemed to instal nicely and I expected to find a second partition with the remaining 260Gb on it, but its not there!! How do I find/create a partition with the missing hard drive space?

Thanks heaps for help that doesn't resort to purchasing softwareMissing most of my hard drive after making a partition?
Its not partitioned yet. You have to go to control panel. Then Administrative tools. Then computer management. In computer management you will see System tools, Storage, and Services and Applications.



Click on Storage then Disk management.





It will load the Hard drive info. Right click on Not allocated space (Or not formatted space) then click format and select NTFS and quick format and assign it a drive letter then click ok. You can give it a volume name but not needed. Then when its done formatting it will show up in My computer.Missing most of my hard drive after making a partition?
Windows can only see a partition if you create it, sounds like you have created the 60GB for the windows installation but left the 260GB un-partitioned which means windows won't be able to see it.



Put your XP disk back in and act as if you going to do a normal new instal.. but when you get to the part where it asks you where you want to install windows you should see that you have a 60GB partition and 260GB (approx) of unpartitioned space select this an create a partition.



Don't finish the installation, just exit it and re-boot as normal, the new partition should show up in windows as unformatted space. Do a format on it and its ready for use.
  • improve pc performance
  • special beauty salons
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment